Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Good Movie Guaranteed




Choosing a movie is tough at my house.

My teen daughters are precocious, yet oddly Puritanical. For example, when a sex scene starts on HBO's "Girls," Madeline presses the Menu key. Listens. Then clicks back when she thinks it's over.

So when Julia and I decided to watch a movie On Demand, we were in a fix. Every film was rated R. Which could mean anything. Nudity. Graphic violence. Horror. Julia won't even curse in front of me. And she's 14!

So we switched to the rental listing. Same issue. Either too juvenile ("Mr. Popper's Penguins"), or too questionable ("The Cabin In The Woods"). Then, we found it. "Safety Not Guaranteed." It was rated R, but Aubrey Plaza's in it. From "Parks and Recreation." She has that whole "I want you to think I'm cool though I'm secretly self-conscious" thing down. Love her.

"Julia, you might have to see violence," I warned her.

"I saw a guy get a sword rammed through the back of his neck and out of his mouth on a cable preview," she reminded me.

"There might be junk. In 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall,' you see Jason Segel completely naked. Like, dancing-around-naked." She wrinkled her nose disapprovingly. "Shall we chance it?"

No answer. She must have been really apprehensive about potential junk-spotting.

But guess what. "Safety Not Guaranteed" got an R for language. Two or three F-bombs, that's it. The characters were somewhat predictable – the awkward nerd girl, the shy Indian, the shifty boss – but the storyline was not a tired retelling of hipster angst. It had intrigue, lost love, painful revelations and time travel. I don't want to spoil it, so just watch it. Not a glimpse of junk, I promise.

http://safetynotguaranteedmovie.com

No comments: