Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pure Bronze




On April 4, I attended the 30th annual Reggie Awards Gala in Chicago. According to Promotion Marketing Association, the organization responsible for the Reggies, winning an award is "one of the most prestigious honors in the marketing industry." We were told that Energy House Calls, a transmedia program I worked on for PG&E, was going to win either Bronze, Silver or Gold in the Local, Regional Market Campaigns Category (Campaigns directed toward consumers on a local or regional level, or targeted to specific geographic markets.)

Our client Steve Propper (we call him Propper) made the trip from San Francisco to accept the award and spend a long weekend. It was Propper's first trip to Chicago and while I can't go into the details because I am a lady and a gentleman, I know he had a good time. 

On the evening of the Reggies, we were a bit late for the dinner, which turned out to be stand-and-eat hors oeuvres . Resourcefully, my teammate Niki and I staked out a table in the ballroom, then ran back to the bar before it closed. Propper followed my lead and stocked up before the show–we each had three drinks in queue on our table, including two glasses each of champagne. 

When the Reggie chairwomen took the stage in their sparkly garb, Propper noted that Midwest ladies "sure like their bling." A Disney Channel performer named Coco Jones performed a few songs. That was fun. Later, a male performer whose name escapes me took the stage. Not so fun. 

After they announced that Energy House Calls won a Bronze Reggie (Propper sure wanted Gold), we headed to the lobby to pose for our photo, then ducked out to hit the bars. I can't remember the name of the first stop, but I know we spent a bit of time at a Chicago institution called The Lodge. 

I also recall re-pitching the reality TV series Propper and I had joked about during the Energy House Calls edit. Essentially, it would be a modern take on "The Odd Couple," starring Propper and an uptight roommate named Primm. We'd call it "Primm and Propper." Propper loved the idea in July, but this time, he was unimpressed. Bored, even. 

Lesson: What's funny last summer is 'so last summer.'

Of note:
The actual award is in the shape of a cash register because these awards are about more than creativity, they're about making the cash register ring. When's the last time anyone heard a cash register ring? These days, they do more of a beep-beep-boop thing, right?

I was a judge this year. I found one of the campaigns in my category lackluster at best. It still won an award. Which I must admit, tarnished the experience of winning our award.

No comments: