Friday, June 28, 2013

My "Goodbye, Momentum" Email


“I’m not going on a mercy interview.”

In 2000, my then-husband Ross had met a guy at driving school who worked at Momentum. I had a few freelance clients, but I’d really put my writing career on hold to raise our two young daughters Madeline and Julia. I thought, “Work can wait.” But Ross could not. So eventually, I acquiesced and called Brent Wilson.

That mercy interview led to freelance work, part-time work and full-time work. I was hired as a copywriter, but quickly updated that to senior writer. (New hires, stick up for yourselves. The squeaky wheel and all that.) And today, I’m a VP Creative Director.

But not for long.

This afternoon, I’ll pull out of my parking space and drive away from Momentum for the last time. I’ll have a box of books, some posters and a Pennzoil cooler shaped like an engine bouncing about in the back seat. And so many wonderful memories rattling around my brain.

Things that could only have happened to me at Momentum:

·      Brett Seher and I created a graphic novel series called Oil Masters for Pennzoil. The first issue was penciled and everything. Dammit, Pennzoil. You should have trusted us on that one.

·      I sang in brainstorms.

·      I invented a game called Crapshot. Every day, my team would spin the wheel and face the consequences. Which usually included a shot created by me. Some of my concoctions were delicious. Others? Not so much. (Quote: “It tastes like someone farted in my mouth.”)

·      I went to pizza school. NASCAR drivers don’t like it when you’re faster at making pizza then they are.

·      I talked Chris Weil into fronting the money to finally win AdStock, the St. Louis battle of the ad agency bands. God, that trophy was ugly. I adored it.

·      I rode roller coasters. For work. Teenage Rebecca would be impressed.

·      I had awesome meals and many drinks with coworkers and clients.

·      I wrote and sang a jingle to help Carolyn Beilsmith’s daughter win a free wedding.

·      I wrote a song about SmartStax for Brad Stamulis to sing for Monsanto.

·      I helped Brent Wilson’s team win a lot of new business. Pennzoil/Quaker State, Enterprise, Hostess, Domino’s, The U.S. Mint, Genuity, a second stint with the U.S. Army, Genuity again, O’Reilly Auto Parts and Florida Power & Light.

·      I ran a half-marathon, thanks to Bill Schmidt.

·      I sang at client presentations.

·      I cooked up a story about a deranged rocker named Sylvie who took out her aggression on unsuspecting fans and kept a finger from each victim as a souvenir. The folks at Busch Gardens bought it. Then changed their minds. Then bought it again. I wrote three songs for the campaign, including the eponymous My X. My own band recorded that one too. I could blah-dee-blah about that experience forever. If you’re curious, hit me up.

·      I wrote and produced Energy House Calls, a reality series for P&E. I lived in California for 6 weeks, which was grueling for everyone. But I think it turned out pretty neat.


I guess what I’m trying to say is, Anything Is Possible Here. If you’re not doing what you love, you’re not doing it right. Thank you all, for everything you have taught and shared with me at Momentum. I am the Connected Protagonist and you are all characters in My Story!


1 comment:

BexRocks said...

I left out one of my favorite "things that could only have happened at Momentum" stories.

I was working on an interactive game for Bud Light where guys at bars would be in a "live chat" situation, instructing an onscreen Maxim hottie what to "do" in her bedroom. Umm, yeah.

I came up with 20 or so responses to "take off your bra." But what about requests I couldn't foresee?

Cue the booze.

I hosted a margarita party with Michelle Spencer in our space at the Delmar office. We served chips in sombreros, Phillip Rodriguez brought salsa and everyone was invited. BUT, if you were gonna drink, you had to write something sexually-related on the big board.

I wish I still had that list. I do remember discovering what "Dirty Sanchez" and "Strawberry Shortcake" mean.

Yep, only at Momentum.