Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Superbug incubator, that's me.

My dad believes in antibiotics.

He's a terrific doctor, don't get me wrong. His patients wept when he'd move to another office. He was just so kind and caring.

I just worry about the drugs.

When I was 8 years old, my dad would dab the blackheads on my nose with a mysterious liquid from a brown vial. Two years later, he gave me Tetracycline for my acne. It made my front teeth clear at the bottom. I also took yellow pills from a round dispenser at that time. My parents thought my chubbiness was due to a thyroid problem. I'm pretty sure the weekly Big Macs, fried bacon and eggs and four donuts every Sunday were more likely to blame.

When I went to college, my dad stocked my dorm medicine cabinet with standard stuff like bandages, but he also gave me antibiotics and my own bottle of Tylenol with Codeine. If I ever felt a little icky, I took a pill without a second thought.

I don't recall when I first heard of superbugs, but I do remember worrying. I started and stopped medications all the time! I swore off everything, even aspirin. I was in my twenties, so it was easy. Young people are just so healthy.

Now superbugs are an epidemic. CBS says they're a ticking time bomb. And here I sit, taking 500mg of Cefuroxime. The Cephalexin I took two weeks ago made my sore throat feel better, but I kept coughing and feeling genuinely cruddy. Last night I had a fever and chills. I emailed my doctor to find out if I should come in. Guess what. He prescribed the Cefurexime. What if it's just the flu? What if I'm developing one hell of a superbug with all these antibiotics and Nyquil and Mucinex I've been downing?

Sorry in advance, friends. Don't say I didn't warn you.

No comments: